Sylvania Ohio History
Sylvania was a hotbed of the subway, where slaves were then transported across the Detroit River to Canada, where their freedom awaited. The Harrouns and their son Edwin helped the slaves by transporting them from Maumee, Ohio, to Michigan on David's wooden wagon. This meant that Sylvania had plenty of events and activities from the early 19th century to the mid-19th century. Consider the drivers who transported workers from a busy mine south of Cambridge that employed thousands of southeastern Ohio workers in the early 20th century, when the mine was still under construction.
The territory of Michigan, recognized as the Ohio-Michigan border, is the Old State Line Road, which runs from Crissey Road about 6 miles along the western county line. This road is called Indiana Territorial Rd because it was the first road to reach Indiana and was a work of the Michigan Territory. From Sylvania to Berkey, Toledo Pioneer in Williams County is connected by a branch from Allen Junction to Adrian, Michigan via Allen, Junction, Adrian and Michigan.
The Old State Line Road, a branch of Allen Junction to Adrian, Michigan via Allen, Junction, Adrian and Michigan, is connected to the Ohio-Michigan border.
Although the depot is no longer in operation, the original station building still exists as an exhibit next to the railway, which is still in use. The aim of the Historical Society of the Sylvania Region is to work to preserve our past so that the present and future generations can better understand its history and thus give more meaning to our present. We hope to expand our collection of historical information about the Old State Line Road and the history of this railroad. Check out our website to get more information and raise money for us.
The check can be paid to "Friends of Lathrop House" and sent to Sylvania, Ohio 43560, or sent by mail or e-mail.
If you want to learn more about Sylvania's rich history, you can visit the website of the Ohio Historical Society or the National Archives in Washington, D.C., or visit many other local websites, including, but not limited to, the Lourde County Historical Commission website. If you wish to do some research for the archive, call the Sylvanias Historical Association at (914) 888-567-4357 or follow the links on this page. Archivists from the Sylvania Area History Society are also available at the Library of Congress in Columbus, Ohio, or at any of its offices in Ohio.
Two organizations worth remembering are the Ohio Historical Society and the National Archives in Washington, D.C., both of which are dedicated to preserving Sylvania's history.
The Sylvania Township Fire Department is listed as an organization founded in 1874, but the name "Manhattan" was never officially used under its original name. The congregation, founded in December 1839, consisted of the then congregations of Springfield, Wing, Swanton and Sylvanias and included parts of what is now Spencer Township. It remained an organized township until 1831, when it was founded as the township of Waterville. The name Manhattan was retained in the city of Toledo and the Oregon Township, which was divided into Manhattan territory in 1874, when its territories were divided into the cities of Toledo, Oregon and Township. As an existing entity, Manhattan ceased to be a unit and was reorganized as the city of Manhattan, Ohio, on July 1, 1876.
The plant was never rebuilt, but its name remained for several years on a section of Sylvania Ave., and then again in the city of Toledo.
On February 23, 1835, the Ohio Legislature passed a bill to create a new township, Sylvania, to be held in elections, and the name of the township organization appeared in the spring of 1838. Three years later, the area was further reduced by expanding Springfield by five square miles, but no elections appear to have been held. A part of Monclova and a part of Springfield was located in Waynesfield, which had contributed a considerable part of its territory when it was built. Part of Waynefield was merged into a township in Springfield in 1836, which was then returned as part of the city of Toledo in June 1867 and then in July 1868. In June of the same year, elections were held again to create a "new township" of "Sylvania," but it seems that no elections were held and no township organizations or names appeared thereafter.
The Ohio State Highway Commission, which included the Sylvania area, passed legislation to build a road that would begin at the Vistula River and later in Toledo across the Maumee River. Eventually, the Ohio Department of Public Works, which was responsible for much of the road construction in the area, was abolished.
Sylvania is located on the west side of the Maumee River, north of Toledo and west of Olander Park, which is located in the Olanders Park in Sylvania.